Thursday, June 25, 2009

Learning to love another

The more cycling I do, the more I gain an appreciation for how it differs from running, and the more I'm learning to love it. I've already mentioned the fact that cycling involves a lot of finicky equipment and necessitates learning a disgusting habit or two, and these are two "cons" in the cycling column. But there are two significant physical forces that cycling deals with in a manner that is superior to running: gravity, and friction.

Cycling down a hill is nothing like running down it. Cycling down a hill is fast, refreshing, and fun. It is occasionally scary (mostly because I almost killed myself while doing it about five years ago), but I'm getting better at managing that emotion. Running down a hill is sure way to tear up your quads and strain your knees. It can also lead to other running-only injuries, such as blood blisters and black toenails. As a cyclist, gravity is your friend, but as a runner, gravity is the entire reason that non-runners never tire of lecturing you that "running will destroy your knees!"

Similarly, the friction caused by wind resistance can be dealt with far more efficiently from the saddle of a bike than with both feet on the ground. While running isn't affected on a calm day, a run into a headwind can take far more energy than that saved by running with a tailwind. But for a cyclist, while wind resistance is never a good thing, it can be mitigated by (a) a more aerodynamic position, or (b) drafting! Lately I've learned to love the look of Zdenek's backside, and although he occasionally spits (or worse) when I'm behind, a little saliva to the face is a small price to pay for being able to keep up with him and enjoy our rides together.

Zdenek and I look just like this when I'm drafting, minus the fancy blue shoes, of course

Although my legs were tired and we only had time for two loops on this humid, overcast morning, we made the most of it. We ended up with our fastest cycle yet this season! As usual, I tried to pace myself on the first lap so that I could really work the hills on the second one (one unexplored difference is why am I so much better at pacing myself in cycling than running?). But after reading that six solid minutes of intense effort per week can have the same effect on my endurance as hours worth of training, and that this approach is better suited to cycling than to running, I think cycling may have yet another tick in its favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment