Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The importance of placement

Today has been full of all sorts of interesting developments. While these events may, at first glance, seem to be unrelated, considering them together offers a unique opportunity to highlight the importance of that oft-under appreciated part of speech, the preposition. (I also seem to be on a bit of a psychic kick today, foreseeing things before they happen.)

Behind: My day began at the crack of dawn with a short, but intense, bike ride in the Park. The weather was near-perfect, and Zdenek looked super snazzy decked out in his new SaxoBank jersey. It was a good day for speed. I decided to work on my drafting skills today, and so opted to cycle behind Zdenek for some of the time. This was a success, and we "posted" our fastest loops yet this season.

I think Zdenek looked like this,
but I can't be sure, because I was behind him

Beside: On my way to work, I passed a young mother with her two children. She was pushing a small baby in a regular stroller, and her three- or four-year old son was beside her. Harmless enough, except for the fact that the son was on a scooter (sans helmet), and both mother and child were hurtling down the sidewalk, about as fast as she could run and he could push off. As they sped past me, laughing and having a blast, I thought (because I am clearly middle-aged), If they don't fall and either crack their heads open or break a leg, it will be a miracle. No sooner had I thought this, then -- CRASH! Yep, the entire family went head first and, as they say, a** over tea kettle, in the middle of the sidewalk. Fortunately everyone seemed okay, but this was truly one of the dumbest parenting moments I've witnessed.

Sad or funny?

Under: In an attempt to enjoy the beautiful sunshine during my lunch hour today, I purchased my most delicious (and rather pricey) salmon and grilled vegetable salad, and headed to a little courtyard on W 45th Street to eat it. As I sat down under the shade of a tree, a single question went through my head: I wonder if I'll get bird-pooped on by sitting under this tree? No sooner had I thought this, then -- SPLAT! A little plop of bird poop landed on my salmon. What a crappy lunch.
In my case,
the bird had already been there for 14 minutes and 50 seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment