Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fun for one

I'm flying solo this weekend because my husband is off golfing in Pennsylvania with his buddies. I am glad that I don't have to spend every weekend alone, or even every other weekend, or even one weekend a month. But so far, I've managed to keep myself entertained.

After work yesterday, I went to get a massage from an enormous Egyptian man named Omar. This was the first time I've had a massage from someone that wasn't either female or a total hippy-dippy male. I must say, big Egyptian men can give a pretty mean massage. On the way out, Omar told me to drink lots of water, but I only heard the "drink" part. So I came home, made myself some delicious pasta, and cracked open a bottle of red. I then proceeded to watch that NBC Brian Williams special on a day inside the White House. It made me think that I really should go into politics, because it fascinates and excites me to no end. (Rahm was my favourite.)

This morning, I got up to do my first-ever solo cycle. The only other time I’ve cycled alone was one day last summer when Zdenek got a flat and he had to walk home (I kept cycling). I was a bit nervous to pump up my tires all by myself (is it always that hard or do we just have a really difficult bicycle pump?), but soon I was out the door and cruising around the Park. I think I only saw one other woman on a bike this morning. It was me and the boys for 30 miles. Pretty cool stuff. After a night of hard rain, the roads were filthy, and my bike and I both returned home caked in mud. It made me feel tough.

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading the NYTimes cover-to-cover, a total indulgence that I rarely enjoy. I’ve spent the last four or five hours trying to plan some accommodation for our trip to Atlantic Canada in three weeks (before I head off momentarily to a friend’s house to drink some more vino). My bright idea to visit Atlantic Canada over Canada Day (July 1, for my American friends) seemed like a good one, until I tried to actually find vacancies during that time. This is basically the route I’m planning, which should allow me to hit as many lobster, mussel, and scallop spots as possible. The trip is going to be a blast, and yes, of course I am using a spreadsheet to plan it.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment