Monday, May 18, 2009

As I like it

There is something quite liberating about not having to follow a schedule.

I’m not, of course, suggesting for even one minute that I don’t like schedules, that I don’t find them to be comforting, and that I’d rather fly by the seat of my pants. Case in point: for those who might think I’m exaggerating my tendency to overanalyze and revert to spreadsheets whenever possible, my sister just had a laugh at me this morning after I emailed her a suggested itinerary for our proposed trip to Atlantic Canada this summer (more on this later). I supplemented my Google Maps route with a spreadsheet that mapped each day, location, driving mileage, estimated commute time, and highlights.

It’s been one week since the marathon, and though I’m advised to take two full weeks off of running, I find that next to impossible. First, I sit at a desk all day and can use the exercise, and second, I really enjoy running! And when I’m not running specified times or distances, it can feel like a different activity altogether. I did, however, try to take it easy last week, putting in only 3.5 miles one day and seven over the weekend.

This morning, however, was the first official cycle of the season. (We have been out once before, on the Most Horrible Day ever during which I missed Bono in the Park, but that was an afternoon, and therefore somewhat leisurely, ride.) Zdenek and I were out at 6 am this morning and, strangely, had the Park almost entirely to ourselves. There must have been a cycling event yesterday that made all the cyclists stay home and rest today. Fine by me! It was lovely to get in 18 miles, mostly just the two of us, with an opportunity to practice holding my handlebars with only my left hand (yes, I’m a newbie in many respects) without worrying about colliding with another biker.

This evening, I managed to get off work at a decent hour and decided to enjoy the still-cool spring weather by getting in a five mile run. I ran fast without even trying to, and it actually felt good! I would never, ever be able to do an impromptu second workout on a scheduled training day, because the implications for throwing off my whole program would be huge. But today was all mine, and I took full advantage.

I’m very excited about the upcoming months that I plan to fill with as much running and cycling as possible. A few weeks ago I was debating whether to train for my first triathlon this summer. I wisely decided to forgo a schedule this time around, though, and to ride and run as I please!

No comments:

Post a Comment