Monday, December 13, 2010

Does it have to be a competition?

This morning I enjoyed one of the easiest runs I’ve had in several weeks. I ran just over 4.5 miles without needing to stop once, and my pace was just shy of 9:30 min/mile. Of course, I felt like I was absolutely flying around Central Park -- it’s funny how 9:30 feels like 7:30 did only ten months ago. But I don’t mind; I anticipate I’ll have 7:30 days again at some point. On the weekend, I ran just over 6 miles on my own (at a bit slower pace and with a couple of walk breaks). By the end of it, I was still feeling strong and relatively light, and I almost considered tacking on another couple of miles. But then I figured that it’s better to quit while I’m ahead, because the last time I ran over seven miles I paid for it dearly. I’ll consider today’s run proof that my prudence did not go unrewarded.

I’m just over two weeks away from my due date and, to be honest, at times I get worried that perhaps I’m feeling too good (or rather, not poorly enough). Aside from a whole lot of kicking and squirming that can sometimes make me yelp out loud, I feel mostly fine. While I certainly prefer my non-pregnant state, I really don’t have much in the way of bloating/aches/pains/fatigue/inability to sleep. Of course, all of that could change at any moment (watch this space), but sometimes I think that maybe I should feel worse, because that would mean the baby is feeling better. Could this be true? Is it possible for us both to feel healthy and happy at the same time? Or is comfort (as sleep is sure to be in a few weeks) a zero-sum game between me and the +1?

No comments:

Post a Comment