Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A (scheduled) change of pace


Although I'm battling a cold (possibly brought on by my race-like effort on Sunday) and am in desperate need of more sleep, the quality of my runs and swim this week have been second to none. I'm really enjoying this round of marathon training and I get the feeling that Zdenek is, too.

One reason I know that running has become the dominant force in our lives is that we both now consider training schedules when planning our vacations. It's nice to have Zdenek on board; in the past, I've been the only one to worry about missing my 10x400 m repeats while sailing in the Galapagos Islands or finding time to run 18 miles before work on Friday morning in preparation for a weekend away. Now, though, Zdenek and I both consider our training program when figuring out how, where, and when to get away.

I'm excited (almost giddy) to report that we have just booked a Costa Rican March getaway to stay in luxury on a nature preserve (and we've already settled on a plan to fit in our runs before, during, and after the trip). I can barely contain myself thinking of days filled with hikes in the rain forests, zip lining through the canopies, and horseback riding on the beach (pictured above), all interspersed with spa treatments, gourmet seafood, and fresh cocktails. March 7 cannot come soon enough.

Neither Zdenek nor I have done a vacation like this before -- in the past, we've driven or sailed thousands of miles in the course of a week or two, trying to fit in as many educational and sight-seeing opportunities as possible. While such holidays have always been enjoyable and exciting, they've typically been far from relaxing. We're anticipating that our trip to Costa Rica will be a departure in every sense of the word. Besides, we already spend enough time focused on covering our ground as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment