Monday, January 4, 2010

Fifteen miles: Czech!

During our recent time in Europe, Zdenek and I ran only three times, but I was impressed that I never had to ask him twice to run with me. His extended Czech family complimented him repeatedly on his recent slimming, and I suspect this provided strong motivation for him to get in a few pivo-burning miles. Running tends to have this kind of self-reinforcing effect. I was also amused to find that Czechs, on average, seem impressed and/or bewildered by runners. Our early morning miles were greeted by strange stares from passers-by, and Czech friends and family were eager to introduce me as a runner and to confirm first-hand that I really do complete marathons.

Our running route in the Czech Republic was an extremely hilly 3 km loop in the woods and river surrounding Zdenek’s grandfather’s cottage. In all, we managed to find time for only fifteen miles; considering the amount of heavy food and drink in which we indulged, this was about thirty miles too few.

No comments:

Post a Comment