Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A fine start

After a blip of muggy, warm weather in New York last week, the thermometer seems to have permanently dropped over the last several days. Finally -- the leaves in Central Park are assuming their innate, vibrant colors, and my morning runs seem to be getting faster, longer, and easier (or at least not slower, shorter, and more difficult). At seven months into my pregnancy it’s hard to believe that running feels so good, but then again, humidity and I have never been the best of friends. I was proud to run over 11 miles on Saturday in just over nine minutes/mile, and this morning I ran almost 10K in sub-9 minute pace (even in spite of the now constant and sometimes quite uncomfortable pressure that comes with another being positioned head-down on one’s bladder). While I did pause to question the accuracy of my watch, I can accept that when the mercury hovers near freezing, I am in my best form. It must be the Canadian in me.

But this morning’s run was especially lovely for a few reasons because it reminded me of all that I have, and all that I have to look forward to. For one, Zdenek and I enjoyed a fall fondue feast last night with our friend and neighbor, Cheryl. Apparently November 1 marks the official beginning of fondue season in Switzerland, and Cheryl, who once made her home in that country, brought all of the supplies -- including 1.5 pounds of cheese -- to our apartment yesterday evening. As she stirred the gooey, aromatic fromage on my stove, I thought that there was simply no way that the three of us would be able to eat all of that cheese. But forty-five minutes later, we were scraping the bottom of the pot and feeling warm and full in our tummies. It was a fitting way to welcome in November, and I think the extra calories gave me an additional boost during my Central Park jaunt this morning.

And as I ran through the southern end of the Park this morning, I was forced to take a few detours around trucks, cranes, and bleachers. The New York City Marathon is this Sunday! I’m counting on Zdenek to get me going with a few homemade pancakes while we watch the start of the race on our long-awaited flat screen television, and then heading to the 24 mile mark in Central Park to cheer on the leaders and followers alike. More importantly, this Sunday I’ll be introducing New York’s finest foot race to two of my favorite people: my mom and sister. Their six night visit coincides not only with my sister’s birthday, but mine, too, and we have many Big Apple activities planned to celebrate.

Fondue, marathons, birthdays, and family. November is off to a tremendous start.

No comments:

Post a Comment