Thursday, August 26, 2010

Siesta time


This week has been a bit of a bummer weather-wise. I had not one, but two runs in the pouring rain, and Tuesday’s bike ride was wet, windy, and hard. But this morning the clouds and rain cleared away, leaving behind only sunny skies and a beautiful temperature. It took a little longer than usual for Zdenek and me to get out of bed and out the door (our accumulated sleep deficit is really starting to take its toll), but I’m glad we rallied. Today’s ride was perfect in every way: fast, fun, and rewarding. Although it’s gradually becoming uncomfortable for me to assume the most aerodynamic position on my bike, I can still manage, and even at five months my body is cooperating enough to allow me to ride long and hard.

It’s now been 18 consecutive runs or rides for me (my last “rest day” was the day we flew back from our Canadian vacation), so I think I’m long overdue for a little sun and siesta. Good thing, since Zdenek and I are off to Spain! The temperatures will be blistering hot, but I’m counting on long afternoon snoozes by the beach and pool to get me through. We like to refer to this vacation as our “last hurrah” -- meaning the last real vacation we’ll have in this life as we know it. And while we've been known to spend portions of supposedly “relaxing” vacations by subjecting ourselves to torturous hikes or itineraries, this time, I think the circumstances will force us to take it easy. (I did pack my running shoes, though -- just in case.)

No comments:

Post a Comment