Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's a date


This is not as exciting as planning a vacation, but it will have to do.

After weeks of training for a “May marathon,” I finally have one to look forward to. I originally wanted an early May date since this allows me to do the bulk of my training during the colder winter and spring months, and it wraps up my running season right around the time that I’m ready to get back on my bike again. In the past, I’ve run spring marathons in Ottawa, Cincinnati, Boston, Virginia Beach, and Mississauga (Toronto).

I seriously considered doing Cincinnati’s Flying Pig again this year -- it will always hold a special place in my heart as the site of my first BQ. But the flight to and from Cincinnati is a pain, and it makes for a busy weekend. I really should be running Boston this year but I failed to sign up and so missed the deadline. Mississauga was also tempting (especially since it allows a trip to the homeland and a potential visit with the in-laws), but again, the travel is a bit much for 36 hours. New Jersey seemed to be the most sane choice. It is nearby, around the right time, and mostly flat. But on the other hand, it’s two loops of the same course and it is, well, New Jersey.

And so, after poring over MarathonGuide.com today, I’ve selected my race: The Cox Sports Marathon in Providence, Rhode Island.
+ It’s within three hours by Amtrak.
+ I’ve never visited Providence.
+ The course is mostly flat and along the waterfront.
+ The rail station, Westin hotel, and start and finish are within a few short blocks of each other.
+ It’s May 2.

I am looking forward to it already, and I hope it will provide sufficient motivation to get me through the final and most difficult six weeks of marathon training. No offense (and I'm sure it's a great race), but New Jersey just wasn’t cutting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment